It's official! Our reptile of the month for April is the snake. All month long, we'll be featuring the slithering reptile and sharing new content for all you snake-lovers out there. Check out these fun facts as well as our brand new setup and care guides for pet owners.
Snakes: Fun Facts
There are more than 3,000 species of snakes, and they can be found almost everywhere on the planet. Most species of snakes are harmless to humans, but venomous snakes kill 100,000 people every year.
Here are some other interesting and cool facts about snakes
1. Snakes are found on every continent except Antarctica.
2. They lack eyelids and instead have a clear scale that covers their eye to protect from dust and acts like a lens.
3. Snakes have internal ears, not external ones.
4. Snakes smell with their tongues.
5. Snakes are carnivorous. They can’t bite their food, so they have to swallow it whole.
6. They have flexible jaws that allow them to eat prey up to 10 times bigger than their heads!
7. Snakes can range in size from the tiny, 4-inch-long thread snake, to pythons and anacondas over 23 feet long.
8. Snakes are solitary animals and do not live in family groups.
9. In captivity, snakes can live up to 25 years. Some even live close to 50 years!
10. Snakes have been around for 100 million years and evolved from prehistoric lizards.
Pet Snake Setup and Care Tutorials (New!)
If you have a pet snake or are considering one, check out Fluker's Reptile U resources.
Our King/Corn Snake Care Sheet and brand new video tutorial provide helpful tips to keep your pet happy and healthy. Topics covered include enclosure, substrate, accessories, temperature, lighting, diet, nutrition, growth, behavior, handling, and safety.